Monday, August 4, 2014

This week has been a little tougher

This week has been a little tougher. It's really hard killing a missionary (this means being a companion with a missionary who is finishing their mission and getting ready to go home), because it makes you think a lot about home. By the time that I got to Bari, I was completely unmotivated to do anything at all. Except eat focacia, Bari makes some really good pizza. I figured out for me the personal remedy is speaking in Italian outside of the house. When I speak in Italian it turns off the Madyline in my head and turns on the Sorella Spencer, which makes it easier to concentrate on finding, teaching and being a better representative of Christ. I am with Sorella Knight right now, and she is very willing to syl with me which is a great help, and we have seen a lot of huge miracles come from syling.

Within the first hour that we were together a less active stopped us on the street, and invited us to come see him and his wife. Then later in the evening, on the way back from an appointment with the Ernest family we stopped to talk to a father and his son about coming to church, and he asked us if we were from Canada. We explained that we were American and that we taught an English course. He seemed very interested and as we were talking his wife and three other children came and joined him. All six of them are planning on coming to English course, and we are going to go meet them at a nearby grocery store, so that they can find the church for the first time, because our church is on a really small unknown street that no one knows where is, which means that any time anyone comes the first time, they get super lost, and I spend all sacrament meeting on the phone with them helping them find the church. So we will walk with them the first time. There was a really good feeling about them, and I have a lot of great hopes. So in summary syling brings miracles. It makes me feel more at ease when inviting people to come unto Christ. I really hope that Sorella Pancheri feels the same. (syl means speak your language)


Tanya and Tushom came to church on Sunday, and had a wonderful experience at church. Bishop asked Tanya to share her testimony, and it was really beautiful. The ward is completely and utterly in love with her, and she fits in seamlessly with the other youth. She has a huge desire to serve a mission, and I honestly can't believe how much I love her. I'm a little more worried about Tushom. He is best friends with one of our more rowdy deaons, Robert. It's a little ironic but Tushom is turning out to be a great example for Robert. Hopefully they will both be able to help each other in the long run. Also after church Sorella Knight ended up beat-boxing with Robert and Tushom so they adore her. They are trying to teach me, but really I am just not cool enough.

We are really worried about Martin, he and his mother got in a huge fight, where she broke his phone in half and told him he wasn't allowed to have any reaction with the church ever again. He slid a note under the elders door letting them know what happened, but we haven't heard from him since. We are praying for him, and truly hope that his mothers heart will be softened. Other than that I don't know what we can do other than wait. Since I wrote this Martin called us from a secret number. We are seeing him at five-thirty tonight. We could use a lot of prayers. This kid is amazing and he deserves the gospel in his life.

The work here is really moving. With all the progress Tanya and Tushom are making the ward is really getting excited about missionary work. My goal here was to see a member referral baptized, and Tanya and Tushom are already moving in that direction. I hope to see a lot more member referrals, because I truly think missionary work is the best way to strengthen a ward. I really do love Taranto.

Also I have been able to spend the week with Sorella Knight, who is an amazing friend. I am really disappointed she isn't my companion. It's so easy for me to work with her. Our teaching is really fluid, and we make really good decisions together. I guess if it were that easy, it wouldn't bring growth. Che peccato. I love you all a ton, It's always great hearing from you. Have a great week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment