Monday, November 11, 2013

Cleaning House

I wish I had more to tell you about the work, but this week has been really slow. Sorella Merenda was sick, so we all rotated staying with her. I cleaned out all of our resources and now they are all arranged by language, and type. It was kind of fun because I found some really weird stuff. Our apartment has been owned by the church for a very long time, and it has very gradually accrued a lot of useless things, for example a mayan calendar, which is now hanging on our closet door. I also found about 7 numbers which needed to be called and a really cool talk that talks about doing missionary work through members,that several of us are trying to implement. (Sorella Fossa hasn't had the opportunity to read it, because it is in English.) I don't know how old it is, or how easy it will be to find but it's definitely worth reading if you are preparing for a mission,or serving currently. Susan Fulcher: A case study. Also as a word of warning it is about 14 pages long, but as everything else in missionary work nothing worthwhile is easy.

There is a member in our ward who cooks for us every month. She is actually fairly infamous in the mission because she prepares traditional Italian 5 course meals, and she believes in feeding us well, so sometimes it can be a tad bit to much food. I was a little nervous going in but it ended up being one of the coolest things I have ever done. It was so elegant (I had a cup for fruit and a cup for water, and an exorbitant amount of silver-ware. I have always loved things elegant and classy, so I had an amazing time. She promised to give me recipes for Christmas, so I'm really looking forward to doing something similar for all of you when I get home. I'm sure I can recruit Faith to help.

Also I gave my first talk this week. Bishop called Saturday night and told Sorella Fossa that he was really busy and he was wondering if one of the sisters would be willing to give a talk. She asked if he had a sister is mind and he said I was thinking about the new one. Sorella Fossa asked if he meant Sorella Spencer and he responded oh I don't know, the really really blonde one, so I am a little mad at my hair for making it impossible for me to blend into a crowd in Italy. Anyway I had less than 24 hours to prepare a talk, translate it into Italian, and do some basic preparation. I was only able to practice it twice, and I ended up reading it, which is not generally how I choose to execute public speaking. I'm not sure I said anything or if I just made sounds. It was really interesting because my dad really enjoys good public speakers so he has kind of developed that talent in me, over the years, and I felt that I had regressed back into the fourth grade version of my-self that was so uncomfortable with public speaking that my teacher gave me special permission to face the board.
I love you all and I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment