Monday, November 18, 2013

I want to be a missionary that does work!

Well everyone missions are hard. There are days when you wonder if there is any point to you being here, if you will ever be able to say anything other than scusi me abbiamo un courso d'inglese gratuito (excuse me we have a free English course) in Italian, and if you have failed completely. This week was full of those days. I finally hit a point where I realized that I have been out for four months, and I have done nothing. I have been very very thoroughly trained in how to be a missionary, but I have yet to really do any work. I have taught a handful of lessons, I have taught a lot of people phrases in English, but I have yet to spend a day where I have completely served my Lord. So I prayed and I asked if Heavenly Father really wanted me to be here, and if it would be better for me to just go home, and I didn't receive an answer.

So I got up the next morning and I started on our daily schedule, and we had our first day where we left the house a little before ten (we are supposed to leave at ten, but sometimes we have to make adjustments because of bus schedules) and we didn't come back till 9:30pm and we did work all day, and not just busy work. We legitimately helped people, and I felt great, and I realized that was my answer. Heavenly Father wants me to be here, but only if I'm doing work. So I'm finishing the end of my second transfer, (so in a week or two, I will no longer be a greenie) and I have decided what kind of missionary I want to be. I want to be a missionary that does work. I want to be a missionary that truly brings people closer to Christ. I am going to spend the next year and a half trying my hardest to be a utensil in the tools of our Lord.

So I had a couple of cool experiences this week with my newfound determination to truly do something with this time. We are teaching a man from Bangladesh named Robert, who doesn't speak great English or Italian. He loves the church, and Jesus Christ, and the Book of Mormon, and he wants to get baptized, but after my first conversation with him that he doesn't realize there is any difference between our church and the Catholic church. (which is the fault only of the language barrier) So we started back from square one and re-taught him the restoration. I think he understands better but he doesn't quite get it. Luckily for us, the church has translated the film "The Restoration" into a number of languages, and we are hoping that he can watch it in his mother language. Also he is going back to Bangladesh for Christmas, and has agreed to meet with members there, and hopefully they will explain it better. I'm hoping that he will be able to be baptized in Bangladesh so his family can be there to see him make that first step. It would be absolutely perfect if president would authorize me to be there but that is unlikely to happen.

Yesterday we did a mostra in a busy part of the city,(a mostra is really just finding with a giant sign that attracts people's attention, making it a little easier to talk to them) and we all received one number, and an agreement for a return appointment. The woman who gave me her number was named Kanthi which is pronounced like Candy with a harder t sound. She was really excited to hear that that was my mom's name too. I was also able to teach the first discussion to a man visiting from Denmark. He was really interested in learning more about the Mormon's because "we seemed so normal, and I don't think that that show sister wives is a very good representation." He had also seen some very well dressed young men in Denmark, and he was "pretty sure they were Mormons too." so I told him that the show sister wives was in fact a poor representative of the church and that we believed that we had the restored gospel, and that we had this great book, which he agreed to read, and I gave him a website where he could find missionaries closer to his home. When I finished I went and told Sorella Williams about the experience, and we were both really excited, until she said "And you had a restoration pamphlet, and Book of Mormon in English? That's awesome!" I did not have a Book of Mormon or a restoration pamphlet in English. Every piece of literature I gave him was in Italian, and neither of us noticed, I hope that he felt the spirit enough that he will visit that website I gave him, and try to find a Book of Mormon in Danish.

vi voglio bene
Sorella Madyline Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment