Monday, June 9, 2014

Learning to be kinder to others


This week was zone conference, and stake conference which I thought was going to be a nice relaxing break, but it was actually super exhausting. I passed out super early last night with all the lights on and no ear plugs, and I was dozing off all morning during personal study, however we did have some really great missionary moments.

During the last lesson with our "monopoly game" less active he asked us if we had any experienced (the word he used was Anziano which means elderly) American men specifically from Utah that he could talk to. His hope was that talking to someone that had lived in and experienced the church in it's purest form (aka according to him, that found in Utah) would be able to clear up all of his questions. We explained to him , that only he and Heavenly Father would honestly be able to resolve his concerns, but we told him that we would look for someone. President happened to be coming to Catania for zone conference so we decided to ask him.

It just so happens that President was the missionary that taught him right after his baptism, so they talked for a little while and Fratello Sciacca prayed to find his faith. He also told me on the phone that he is looking for all the older less actives in Catania (those from the 70's) and hopes to bring them back to the church. I told him that Sorella Marquis and I would be happy to call them, and he asked me "Don't you think that it would mean so much more coming from one of their friends?", so it sounds like he is beginning to heal himself.

Read more about this part of her letter on the mission blog!

Our golden investigator is working towards baptism this month. She asked me the requirements to serve a mission, and is ecstatic that she will be able to serve her Heavenly Father. I still can't believe that we met her only three weeks ago.

Lastly we went finding last night on the coast and we had three really awesome experiences. We have been using a survey that my friend Jacob serving in Michigan sent me, and we have been having a ton of success. (thank you Elder Cob!) and we used it to talk to three people. The first woman we talked to had studied with the elders 30 or so years ago, and at the end of our conversation she said. "I am NOT interested in joining your church, but I would be happy to come to your English course and this is my number. I want you to call me if you ever need anything, because you are doing a good thing." I hope to see exactly how her story turns out one day.

The second man was a scientologist who was more curious about out religion than anything else but agreed to meet with us again. He tries to speak in English but the only pronouns he knows are we, and I. So when he asks questions about us , he says things like "We are from America, yes?" It should be a party.

The last couple we met stopped us because we were both wearing red skirts which they thought was hilarious. (my favorite finding tools so far are ; sit on bench and wait for people to come to you, and wear matching clothes.) They were a 60 year old Sicilian (speaking primarily in Sicilian) couple, and we talked for a little bit and then invited them to take our survey. The husband told us, " I gave up on religion. The trinity doesn't make sense. How can God, and Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost all be one person?" So we explained that they aren't actually one person but three separate, and he blew kisses at us (Italians do that sometimes when they like what you say.) He took our survey and sort of read one question for about 15 minutes while talking to us the whole time, and the n he said "I'm probably not going to read this, but I see here that there is a spot for my number, and you can come to my house, and explain to me what it says. My wife will cook for you, and you can meet all of our children, and grandchildren." I think we might have a hard time getting him to keep commitments but oh I love Sicilians.

I have really realized recently how important it is to be kind. Living in close quarters with so many missionaries makes it clear how destructive people can be to each other. I have realized that we are all incredibly incredibly human, and that we all do really stupid imperfect things, but that everyone is a child of God. Most of all I have realized that everyone needs more love. The things that I regret most about my mission and my life, are the moments in which I wasn't kind enough. I have never taken satisfaction in being right after the fact, but I have always regretted not being kinder.

I love you all, and you are all super wonderful. Pray for the Sicilians for me!

Con Amore
Sorella Madyline Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment