Monday, July 21, 2014

What just happened?

This week was really crazy. Taranto is such an amazing city that I literally just cannot understand. Sorella Bair and I joke that the theme of our transfer together has been "what just happened?" Literally I go to bed every day trying to process my life. I think it's being in two. It makes you crazy.

So the three most important things that happened this week.

1)Martin- We spent all week trying to arrange an FHE (Family Home Evening) with him and the other Hungarian family in our ward, but because of the language barrier, it didn't ever end up working out. The first night Martin could come, and we confirmed with the Kovacs family, but the address in the ward directory was wrong so we never ended up finding their house. The second time Martin came, and Fratello Kovacs agreed to meet us in the church, but no one else in his family came so we ended up finding all of the random extra people in the church and doing an FHE with them. The third night we got to the Kovacs home and Martin's mom said he couldn't come (we met her this week!!!!! Huge miracle) so we ended up having dinner with the Kovacs family, Fratello Kovac's best friend Fratello Miccoli, and their best friends from down stairs.

2) The best friends from downstairs. They are a beautiful sri lanken family, we watched the restoration together. Unfortunately the tv was broken so we watched it in black and white, with no sound, with english subtitles. So I had to translate it into Italian. I did not to a great job. Despite all of that the spirit was so strong, and they invited us to come teach them on Tuesday, and to eat dinner with them on Saturday, and they are all coming to church on Sunday. It was a huge testimony that the spirit can work through imperfect instruments, and that our human efforts are always enough. He just asks that we try, even if the tv is broken, and your companion is laughing because you chose not to translate the phrase " I am going to fetch some gingerbread, Joseph" because I don't even think they HAVE gingerbread in Italy, and if they do, I do not know the word for it in Italian.

3) We had a million missionaries in our apartment for zone conference. I did not love it. It was a lot of chaos, and I hid on my balcony for a while. I felt really guilty until I switched balconies and found my companion doing the same thing. The upside was that two of the sisters who came were Sorella Kimball who is one of my best friends in the whole mission, and Sorella Rost who served here in the past, and she invited two of her old investigators to baptism! We didn't even know who they were so it was a huge blessing that she came or they might have gotten forgotten due to the confusion of Sorella Cherrington's emergency transfer.

Now I am in Bari with Sorella Knight (she was just on an exchange for the day) who is one of my best friends in the whole world, and I couldn't be happier.

Love

Sorella Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment