Monday, December 29, 2014

Christmas in the Rome Italy mission is kind of tough

 So I don't remember in exactly which email you wrote this to me, but you kind of talked about how you have ben struggling with doing the basics, and it kind of made me smile, becuase I have been kind of having the smile experience this last week. Christmas in the Rome Italy mission is kind of tough as I'm sure it is for every mission in the world becuase everyone and their dog goes out of time, and there is no one left to teach the gospel to. 

The big difference between america and Italy however is that Holiday celebrations last well into January so it's even harder. So I had kind of checked out. I had decided that I was going to spend my last few weeks just hanging out with my district and new converts, and that I wasn't going to really try anymore becuase honestly there wasn't any point. 

Then I got sick, and I had to get a blessing, and Heavenly Father reminded me that I still have things to do. I only have three weeks, but those three weeks have the power to make a difference for me and those around me. In the blessing special attention was placed on scripture study, which I have been doing but maybe not with the dilligence that I should. 

I really realized this weekhow valuable our time is as human beings, and how the only way we can truly become great is through sacrifice. I know the thing that annoyed you the most about me in high school was how hard I pushed myself, and I think that trait has only been accented in my mission. I would rather stand in front of the Lord and tell him that I did evil in my life, than that I did nothing. 

I think the most hurtful thing we could do to the Lord is disregard the life that he has given us. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's a crucial part of who I am. Another thing that I have learned as a missionary is that I have to do the things that I want done first everyday first everyday. We are given a missionary schedule in which we generally have an hour to get ready first thing in the morning and then an hour of scripture study. 

Because of the fact that we are in four and we have to move things around so that we can all shower I have started cleaning up for about 15 minutes so that I can fell the spirit, studying for an hour, and then getting ready with whatever time is left over. I've seen that the only way to make the gospel my first priority in my life, is to literally make it the first priority in my life, as in the first thing I do every morning. I'm hoping to be able to find a job that starts at about noonish when I get back home, so that I can mantain a similar schedule. Scripture study for an hour, Italian study for an hour, and then work. I'm trying to make these last three weeks just as effective, if not more effective than every other week in my mission. Sorella Winegar is already hating me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment