Monday, December 22, 2014

Giant Nativity

 I'm still pale and white, they still put up giant nativity scenes in piazza's in Italy. Not much has changed.


    The only thing that you really need to know about this week is that I sang far far away on Judea's plain over 20 times last night. I may never ever sing that song again. I'm not sure that I have any Christmas Spirit left in me. not even like a few drops. Just kidding I love Christmas, this year has been particularly special. I did my final addestramento this week, and it went really well. The whole zone conference was on testifying of Christ, and I was assigned to talk about hope in Christ, and I spent about two weeks studying Christ, writing down all ideas, weeding through all thoughts, and finally the morning of I ended up with a 15 minute explanation of the enabling power of the atonement, and how through the sacrifice of our Savior we can become more than we ever could have been on our own, and I don't know if it affected anyone else, but it truly changed me. I finally realized that there are no limitations that can be placed on me. I can accomplish anything with the help of my Savior. That being said it's proabably about time to retry Freshman biology.
     We also did a really cool lesson with three men that my companion met while I was in Cagliari for like a week. We were only supposed to be doing a lesson with one of them, but he ended up bringing two friends with him. It was super startling because I expected him to be like this 60 or 70 year old guy, and he drives up to the church and he like 25, so I had to adjust the whole perspective I had had for the lesson. Needless to say, Sorella Winegar did not do a good job of prepping me. It was really cool because this guy (his name is Christian) doesn't believe in God, and his two friends believe but aren't practicing, and we invitied them to try alma's experiment in Alma 32, and then let us know what happens. It was a super logical discussion. We kind of ended on the note, that if it's true it could potentially change your life, and if it's not what happens. absolutely nothing, you go on with your life, and we go on with ours. It sounds super logical, and kind of agianst the whaole nature of the gospel, but the spirit was super strong.
     On Sunday IKA CAME TO CHURCH!!!! I think it was actually really hard for her, because she feels super out of place in Italy, but luckily there were two Africans in church that are working with the other sisters and she clung to them a little bit, becuase even if they don't speak the same langauage they both understand what it is like to not understand Italian. Then we went to her house and sang to her in the evening. She lovessss the missionaries, but is still a little overwhelmed by the members. Oh well little by little. We are getting her a skirt for Christmas, so that she feels more comfortable in church.
     Also Alessandro is doing so well. He blessed the sacrament on Sunday, and it almost made me cry. Then we went to the relief society president's house to carol (always far far away on Judea's plain of course.) and he was doing his home teaching. (I didn't even know he was a home teacher, no one tells me anything dagnabbit) AND in Sunday school On eof the elders was teaching the lesson and he asked how can we show Heavenly Father that we love him, and Alessandro immediately responded obeying the commandments. I know that may not seem lik e a huge deal, but he struggled so much with understanding the commandments. I was so worried when he was baptized, that maybe we had made a mistake and that we were setting him up for failure, but he has literally blossomed in the gospel, and I don't think that it is something that ever would have happened with out the Holy Ghost. Also his mother and brother have started "coming to church" with him. Tilda (his mother) only comes for the "mass" because she isn't a member, and she isn't "obligated" to come all three hours like alessandro, and his brother sits in the foyer and waits for the missionaries to come out and talk to him. I'm pretty sure they think we are Catholic, but we are getting there. piano piano.
      I think that is the big news for the week. I know this is kind of one of those boring missionary emails, so I will throw in on efunny story just for spice. HAlfway through carloing last night, I got super tired and stopped paying attention for the whole affair, and at the relief society president's house I sang the wrong verse for about half of a verse, and Sorella Tapia got confused and started following me. Then the next song, I kind of started following the alto part accidently which threw the whole Soprano group off, and we all started laughing, and for that song Sorella Tapia was the only soprano singing, but Alessandro thought we did great and that's all that matters. My favarite thing about this ward is that it is full of the biggest variety of people I have ever seen in my life, and we are all crazy and imperfect, but it works, and we love eachather. I pretty much live on the island of misfit toys, and I couldn't be happier. 
      Love you all 
Sorella Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment