Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Giving Mom a Heart Attack!

Caro famiglia e amicizi {Dear Family and ?, I can only assume it is friends, but it won't translate}(not sure if that is the correct spelling, but it's definitely the right words!),
This week has been an absolute adventure, like every other week in this beautiful country. So this really interesting thing happens when you go to a new country, and you put your body under the stress of a new language, and new foods, and new everything. You get really really really sick. So I absolutely hate being sick so I always try to pretend that it's just allergies for about two or three days before I admit that I am actually sick. So day one of my really bad "allergies" we had a permesso appointment. It's the equivalent of a green card. So the four of us gathered together, all of my personal information including my passport, and headed to Ortega. we got there and they told us that the computers were down, so to set up an appointment for the following week. I was not feeling the greatest so I was more than happy to comply, so me, the other four sorelle and all of my personal information started the return trip back to Siracusa. Sometime during this 15 minute walk back home my entire packet of every piece of information proving that I am American, and a missionary, and actually truly Madyline Spencer was separated from me. My companion thinks someone might have grabbed but considering the way I was feeling at this point in time, I think that I missed my bag, while I was trying to put it away. (I wasn't planning on telling this story because I know my mom is already worried enough, but Sorella Haynie is putting it in her blog, so I thought it might get out, and that you all should probably hear my side as well.) {and yes, I was freaking out as I read this because I could totally tell where she was going before she ever got to the point} So we went on our way, cleaned our house, wrote letters, and went to a church activity. As the activity was wrapping up we were discussing the word of wisdom with a member's friend (it wasn't going well) when sweet sweet 3 year old Lorenza comes running into the building screaming c'e la polizia (it's the police!!!) shortly followed by the police asking for a Madyline (Madalayna) not many people know my first name so I didn't respond at first. Then they asked for a Spencer. so I walked over highly concerned because there is very little reason the police would need a sister missionary. They said Signora tu ai tuo passapotrto? (ma'am do you have your passport?), and I responded thinking that it was in the genealogy room, and that I was maybe being deported. Si nella altra stanza una minuto (yes, in the other room, one second) and they said no , signora noi, abbiamo tuo passaporto (no ma'am WE have your passport) then proceeded the most terrifying 15 minutes of my life. Apparently they had found my permesso packet in the street and had seen that it was a blonde haired blue eyed religious American, and assumed that it had something to do with the LDS church, so they decided they would swing by the church and see if a Madyline Spencer was there, which miraculously we were. So while I know my mother is probably panicking at this point in time, it's just a strong testimony that the Lord takes care of his missionaries, even when they aren't being very smart. So instead of being concerned, you should take comfort in this story. {It's no wonder I am loosing sleep over this girl!}

On Tuesday we got a new investigator and two potentials! We taught an english course lesson in the afternoon to a beautiful woman , and afterwords we told her that as missionaries of the church of Jesus Christ we have two purposes. To help bring people unto Christ, and to serve the community, which we do through the English course. We told her that one way that we help people come unto Christ is through prayer, and we taught her how to say a simple prayer, and then we invited her to kneel and say a prayer, and she did! Afterwards we asked her how she felt, and she said happy, and peaceful, so Sorella Lovell invited her to take the lessons, and we have an appointment on Thursday! Then we had corso (class). The way that I plan spiritual thoughts for corso is kind of strange. I choose a theme based on the lesson, and then I study a topic relating to that theme, and I just sort of let the Lord guide me. I know that it sounds unorthodox, but I have had a lot of success. This week our lesson was on renting an apartment, so I decided to contrast our homes now with the homes we will enjoy in our eternal lives, which led me to talk about perfected bodies which seems like a very strange spiritual thought for an english course, but the spirit seemed pretty sure that it was the right message to give so I proceeded. So I gave my spiritual thought on how regardless of how we live this life we will all receive perfected bodies and how great of a blessing this is. Then as I was about to finish I felt prompted to explain that this is only half of the promise that we have been given (I had not prepared this) that if we live righteously and follow the steps outlined by our Savior we can live with our Father in Heaven again, and then I invited anyone who was interested in learning more to stay after and set up an appointment, and two women did. They both took a Book of Mormon, and told me they would read it, and write down any questions they had (I did not ask them to do this.) I have learned that I learn so much more through my personal study, and thus am better able to teach when I really put a lot of effort into my study. If I don't sacrifice I can't teach nearly as well. That is pretty much all that I accomplished this week, but I feel pretty good about it, and I know that when I am healthy, next week will be a lot more productive.
I am also learning that the doctrine is only half of it, the rest is love. I am friends with all of my English course students, they gave me step by step instructions on how to make snails, so if anyone is interested...... I feel so blessed that the Lord has opened my heart this way, and I look forward to the rest of my time in Italy.

{Thanks again to a wonderful mission mom who shared a picture}

No comments:

Post a Comment